There are many possible allergens, but these are the most common:
• Peanuts, tree nuts (such as walnuts and cashews), shellfish (like shrimp and lobster), fish, milk, and eggs are the most common culprits, although any food can cause a severe allergic reaction. (A great deal of research is being done on whether delaying the introduction of potentially allergenic foods will delay the onset of allergies in allergy-prone children. If food allergies run in your family, your child may be more susceptible.)
• Drugs in the penicillin family (including the popular antibiotic amoxicillin)
• Insect bites and stings (especially from bumblebees, honeybees, yellow jackets, hornets, wasps, fire ants, and harvester ants)
• Latex (often used in healthcare facilities)
• Food preservatives and colorings (like FDC yellow No. 5)
Should I worry about Lyme disease when tick bites?
What if I don’t remove all of it?
What should I do if I find a tick on my baby?
What can I do to protect my baby from anaphylactic shock?
What should I do if my baby seems to be having a severe allergic reaction?
What is anaphylactic shock?
How can I prevent my baby from getting stung or bitten?
We plan to travel outside the country. Should I be concerned about insects?
Can an insect bite or sting cause an infection?
How do I treat a sting if my child doesn’t have an allergic reaction?